Home / Articles / Abandoned Developer Responds to Cancellation Rumors

Abandoned Developer Responds to Cancellation Rumors

Abandoned Developer Responds to Cancellation Rumors Image
  • Posted on 08th Apr, 2022 14:40 PM
  • 1217 Views

With rumors claiming that Blue Box may be canceling its horror survival title Abandoned, the developer responds that it's not the case.

p>Blue Box's Abandoned has been in active conversation since its first announcement. Following months of near-silence, it was rumored that the game may be canceled by the studio. Recently, Blue Box issued a statement regarding the status of Abandoned.

Back in April 2021, Blue Box Game Studios announced Abandoned, a survival horror game that was originally expected to launch during the fourth quarter of the same year. Although initially set up as a PS5 exclusive, the studio later confirmed a PC port also in development. But following miscommunication and sometimes the lack of communication at all, fans were left frustrated and confused with regard to what to expect from Abandoned. Some speculate that Blue Box might cancel the title altogether, a sentiment that's amplified with the studio deleting tweets about Abandoned's future. However, a recent statement from the company states otherwise.

RELATED: Blue Box Game Studios YouTube Channel Reportedly Hacked

In response to the surrounding rumor about the game being canceled, Blue Box says it's false and that Abandoned is still in development. The studio claims that it's currently working on the game reveal through the Abandoned PS5 Realtime Experience app and online channels. The statement further reads that despite initial plans of a Q1 2022 reveal, both the reveal and the Abandoned: Prologue launch have been delayed owing to development challenges. "We will release Abandoned: Prologue when its stable, good and ready," says Blue Box.

window.arrayOfEmbeds["1509591396084326413"] = {'twitter' : '"\n<blockquote class=\"twitter-tweet\">Our response to the Cancellation rumours: <a href=\"https:\/\/t.co\/EuiY8Squ52\">pic.twitter.com\/EuiY8Squ52<\/a>\n&mdash; BLUE BOX Game Studios (@BBGameStudios) <a href=\"https:\/\/twitter.com\/BBGameStudios\/status\/1509591396084326413?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw\">March 31, 2022<\/a><\/blockquote>\n\n"'};

With development dating back to 2017, Abandoned was first announced for a Q4 2021 launch, managing to generate a lot of excitement and conversation from fans. However, the months that followed the announcement weren't a smooth ride for Blue Box. In August 2021, the company revealed its PS5 Realtime Experience app, which was met with mixed reviews. Afterward, Blue Box went silent on the game's status, until the Abandoned development update in December indicated a 2022 launch.

So far, fans have only been treated to an underwhelming Abandoned PS5 teaser, a content-lacking real-time experience app, and a range of conspiracy theories surrounding its story. With a game reveal yet to be unveiled, topped with the company's miscommunications, Blue Box's credibility is looking more questionable along with expectations for the game. This means that the studio's eventual content would need to deliver well enough to get fans excited about the game again. As to when that Abandoned launch is going to be, time will tell.

Abandoned is in development for PC and PS5.

MORE: Abandoned Has To Be Something Special, Even if it Isn't Silent Hill

Abandoned Developer Responds to Cancellation Rumors View Story

Latest 20 Post